So, I have a couple of questions about parenting and I need some advice from you awesome parents out there:
1. We have a 3 bedroom townhouse. Right now we have Hallie in her own room, Saige in our room still, and a toy room. I am debating about whether we should have the girls share a room or not. I planned to have them share for the whole bonding thing, but should I just wait until the next baby is on his/her way? (It hopefully won't be for another 3 years or so.) I am worried about them waking each other up or me waking Hallie up when I go in to nurse Saige. It would be way easier with our set up for the girls not to share, but I don't want them to miss out on what could be a great way for them to grow close. Thoughts?
2. When did you talk to your kids about stranger danger? We haven't gone there yet and I don't know if I am doing it way later than I should have or if I should hold out a little longer because I don't want to scare Hallie.
Any advice you have would be great because sometimes Eric and I are just stumped.
3 weeks ago
5 comments:
Honestly with them being so young they won't even think of bonding! I have my kids in their own rooms and they still are great friends! I never wanted to wake the other one up for whatever reason because they didn't deserve that! The only reason to make them share is if you only have two rooms and u had to! Just my two cents:) and then with the stranger danger thing, is she talking to strangers? My mom talked to me when I was young because my mom said I would talk to anybody and if someone asked me to go with them I probably would have! My little girl is 3 almost 4 and I have been talking to her and my son for quite a while now about strangers and what could happen! They aren't scared just very cautious and I like that! I think even if it did scare them that would be ok so they don't end up getting in someone's car and instead would scream or run! I don't know these are jumbled opinions but hope you get the message:) haha!
They can TOTALLY share a room now! We put Hunter in with Sawyer right away, and they RARELY woke each other up. They adapt to things so fast, and sleep right through each other's issues. But when Hunter woke up to nurse, I'd just go in & grab him & nurse him outside of the room somewhere (even though I probably could've done it in there- but I didn't have a big enough room to have the chair in there). We made them share for two reasons: (1) we never wanted Sawyer to start getting 'snobby' about having his own room, because we're not planning on letting our kids EVER have thier 'own room' (especially boys). We'll just buy a house with room plenty big to share, even as teenagers. (2) the bonding really IS AWESOME!!! It was not long (probably around 9 months) before we could hear them giggling in there together in the morning, or at night as they started having the same bedtime. It's never been disruptive enough that we'd want to separate them: only extremely CUTE. I'd say the biggest problem with sharing, was that all their toys are in there during nap time, so it was kinda a pain if Sawyer needed something while Hunter was napping. But since you have a playroom, that shouldn't be an issue at all. I'd say keeping them together would give them a wonderful sense of security & family love, instead of sleeping all alone! :)
2. I think we probably started mentioning it once he was old enough to speak/listen well, and old enough that we'd let him wander kinda far from us at parks. Probably 2.5-ish? And I think it was the age 3 appt. at the doctor they started telling them about not letting people (except mom/dad & doctors) 'touch' them. That especially freaks me out, because all the little girls in the family I nannied for had been molested by a family member when they were practially babies. :(
I've been wondering some of these thigns myself...So I will just keep checking back to see what advice people have. We aren't in a situation where we need our kids to share (Mckenna's closet is big so that = the playroom, haha)but I also have different gender children, so I think we are a little less likely to have them share. But, when #3 comes there will have to be room sharing. I have mostly just heard/seen that they adapt to sharing pretty quickly and will mostly sleep through each others issues!
Hey, Brittany, I was surprised when I got your comment, I'm still getting used to the whole new family thing, but I'm super excited. Raegan is two and a half and she is going to love having new cousins to play with. She already loves your mom. They bonded instantly, which was awesome.
Drayton and Peyson have been sharing a room for over 2 years and I love it and they love it. Sometimes at night I hear them talking about the funniest things. They are so close and miss each other when they aren't together. Drayton is getting kinda of old to be sharing with his sister, so within the next year we'll be rearranging things, but I'm so glad they have had this time together. As far as strangers go, the minute they are old enough to interact with others and understand relationships, I think it's important for them to understand that not everyone is their friend. Just my thoughts.
Post a Comment