Monday, March 21, 2011

Spanking gone wrong

So, today was the big day.  We started something we never thought we would...  we are parents who spank.  Eric and I are lost on how to discipline Hallie and never wanted to be parents who spank, but we feel like this is the last and final discipline technique that we haven't tried our head strong Hallie.  

We sat her down this morning and explained to her that if she hits mom or dad, disobey's, or tells mom or dad no, she gets a hard spanking on the bum.  She was cool with the idea.  Well, she was awesome today up until about 5pm when Eric got home.  She hit him.  The process began.  When Eric went up stairs he talked to her and then gave her the spanking  (It wasn't soft.  His hand stung.)  And then he waited for her response.  He said it felt like an eternity (probably just a few seconds) and then asked her "Did that hurt?"  She then said "YA!" bounced up started jumping and marching around the room doing the spanking motion to herself and said "All done.  We did it!  YAY!  You gave Hallie a hard spanking on the bum.  You did it dad!  Good job.  Thank you."  I heard this all from the other room.  It was HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not the response we were looking for.  Eric was the one on the brink of tears.  Didn't phase Hallie... what to do???

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Bring her over here if you can't spank her. We'll do it for you. We'll work out some sort of trade with the hair and the spanking. haha.

Jenni said...

That is too funny! You can try soap in her mouth...my mom always did that (usually for bad words though) but we HATED that!

Kindt Family said...

Hahaha that's hilaroius!
It sounds like she only expected it to happen once, though. I'd imagine that once she realizes it's going to keep coming, that it'll click for her & she'll start caring (and hurting, and changing). I'd say stick with it for a little bit longer. Even though, like you, I generally don't like the idea of spanking, I (like you) also think sometimes it's kinda the final straw with a stubborn kiddo & it can be worth a shot. As long as you keep it under control- like the single spanking for something specific that's been warned about, and not just an angry smackfest... :)

Womens Workout Ministry said...

That is so funny!! A friend of mine has a little girl that's 3 and is the exact same way! nothing phases her...turns out that she LOVES going to preschool, and when they threatened to take her out, she was an angel! This may just be a trial and error stage to see what makes her tick...hang in there!!!! :)

Lisa Cook said...

Oh man, that's exactly what Ethan did when I tried to spank him! I was the one who cried! Like Carrie said, the more we did it and made sure we talked to him before and after about why we were doing it, he started taking it very seriously. And we only save it for when nothing else works, like maybe once a week or less. Hallie is a sweetie and she will figure things out. You are a great mama!

Delia said...

HA HAHA...sounds like Reid and Hallie would be the best of friends! Seriously. We are having a go of things right now with him too. :)

Maydelin said...

Hi, I´m new reading your blog I´m from Venezuela, so sorry for my english I hope you understand me, well I´am teacher of preschool,so I handling whit kids with ages between 1 to 7, well you old daughter is going through a period of change, for new baby, I know you know that, just you have to have a little patience, I see mistake that make most parents is that they do not keep their promises, for example if you say "if you hit me you will not see cartoons" and she hits you, you turn off the TV and she turns it on, you turn it again and she turns back on, there comes a point where you give up and let her see television (this is an example), there is the mistake, you have to let you know that your in charge, I agree with spanking when you can no more and once in a while, but I can say that spanking will not work for long, because she is big, spanking works when they have the year or year and a half to, 3 years and up is best to talk to them and keep with what you say ... I'm not telling how to raise your daughters, only advice as a teacher and as a nanny for two children aged 4 years and 1 year ... I hope you understand me.

Another Thing you have beautiful girls!!

Carina & Dan said...

That is so cute. We also just had to start using spanking with our little 2 year old girl as no other tried punishments seemed to work. She balls her eyes out, runs to the other parent for sympathy and upon not receiving it, she comes back & says "I say sorry" and I give her a hug and remind her again what she wasn't supposed to do & that is why she got spanked. It is working pretty good so far. Slowly now I am observing that just the threat of spanking is enough to stop the behavior. Good luck, she is mighty cute!